Hi! Welcome to the COTE Community. Please introduce yourself, let us know a little bit about you, and where you are from. We would love to know about your online teaching and learning experiences and what your specific areas of interest here might be.

Views: 1405

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Greetings ...

I come with a rich and expansive experience in online learning/teaching.
While completing my Master's in Secondary Education (p/t on campus while teaching in the NYC public schools) I took a couple of courses via distance learning. This rekindled my interest in returning for a doctorate in psychology which I earned via hybrid learning from Capella University.

While studying for my PhD, I began teaching on campus for CUNY (Brooklyn & Hunter Colleges) and then added online appointments (Southern New Hampshire University and SUNY - Empire State College.)

My online teaching was a lifesaver as completed an unpaid externship at the federal prison in Manhattan and then a (minimally paid) internship at the state forensic center in Illinois. Resettled in NYS (upstate this time) and completed post-doctoral residencies in forensics (@ the Sex Offender Treatment Program at Central NY Psychiatric) and geropsychology with CHE Psychological Services.

I now am also teaching on campus at Utica College and (as of today, actually) am joining the contributing faculty of Walden University in their new forensic psychology graduate program.
Hello everyone!

I have a bit of an odd background before taking my current job as Associate Director of the Mary Louise Van Winkle Teaching Learning Center at Dutchess Community College. My previous experience was in secondary education, as a middle school Technology teacher in the Red Hook and Arlington School Districts. Yes, that's wood shop, no I didn't have any students cut their hands off while I was there. :) I currently hold a Technology teaching certification, and previously held a Secondary Social Studies certification. I hold a BS in Political Science from SUNY Geneseo and an MS in Curriculum Development and Instructional Design from SUNY Albany.

I sorta... fell into my current job after I left teaching, having been interested in online learning and the "behind the scenes" stuff that happens in institutions since my time at Geneseo. I started in 2007 and haven't looked back since, even though the job has become quite a bit more than just behind the scenes!

I'm also currently teaching Database Management Concepts on-campus as a heavily web-enhanced course, and am in the process of pitching it as an online offering to the Computer Science Department.

Currently, I'm involved in ... quite a lot of stuff! I am Vice-Chair of DCC's Administrative Staff Council, I an co-chairing our Staff Mentoring Committee, working on a Dean's Committee for Online Tutoring, and working with the Directors of Online Learning Environments on policy and procedure issues. Somehow I still find time for World of Warcraft (Alex told me to say that) and my voracious Kindle habit.
I work at Fulton-Montgomery Community College in the IT department so I take care of the classroom computers as well as assist faculty with getting around in ANGEL. I teach courses myself and this semester I have one fully online course and one web ehanced traditional course. I just finished my graduate degree with Empire State using ANGEL and I also did my undergrad work when it was still Lotus Notes. So I know the story from both sides of the screen if you will.
I've been teaching online from SUNY Plattsburgh for 7 or 8 years (I've lost track). We were part of the SLN at that time and I got the best training as a member of SLN. Plattsburgh moved away from the SLN, but the training I got stays with me and I was excited to see this new SLN community! I'm hoping to gain some new knowledge about ways to make my online teaching and my students' online learning better. I teach a ten-week (1-credit) course on information and technology literacy that is a Gen Ed requirement at Plattsburgh. I'm a librarian at Feinberg Library and in addition to teaching LIB105, I do collection development (digital and traditional materials) and work with other SUNY librarians on a number of cooperative collection development pilots and projects.
Hello!

I LOVE teaching online because it has allowed me to continue a profession that I love while attending school full time. I currently have put my master's degree in Exercise Physiology from East Tennessee State University and undergrad degree from Gettysburg College to work by teaching in the Physical Education and Integrated Health Department at Finger Lakes Community College. I smoothly transitioned into teaching online from face to face teaching when I moved to Florida.
I am currently pursuing a degree in Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine and by teaching online it not only allowed me to earn an income, it allowed me to feel constantly challenged to "step it up" for my students in the online teaching format. I continue to evolve and hope to see still more capabilities to be face to face with a lot more students through skype or other technologies.
I'd love to not only continue teaching online but also to continue to branch out and learn by teaching some other classes. Please let me know if your school needs someone to develop another class within my background I'd love the opportunity!
Hiya ...

I've been teaching and learning on-line since 1998, when I first joined Tompkins Cortland Community College as an adjunct. My teaching areas are: English, literature, academic writing, business writing, creative writing and communications. I have taught for Binghamton University, SUNY Cortland, Tompkins Cortland Community College, Empire State College and Ithaca College. While at TC3 full-time, as Director of Academic Technologies (last position held), I was an AC and MID for the campus.

I currently work for Cornell University's CIT department ... within the Faculty Support Services area ... as a project manager and instructional designer/technologist. Some highlights of my work for Cornell include: project-managing a campus-wide eportfolio pilot for two years (using Sakai OSP, Chalk and Wire and some other eportfolio platforms), project-managing various Faculty Innovation in Technology awards (small innovation projects that span disciplines), and co-managing a campus-wide study of first-year student literacies via pre/post surveys and reflective video interviews.

My teaching uses a "salad bar" approach ... picking theories, here and there. Overall, I tend toward an experiential-learning-Kolbian-relfection-based method. I believe strongly in the power of reflection in learning and also tend to support concepts of portfolio-based teaching and learning.

I'm excited to re-connect with my long-time SLN friends ... and STILL want a tee-shirt that states "REPLICATE-WORK-REPLICATE" ... ahhh, the olden days.
I was among the early teachers in SLN back when SUNY New Paltz played a strong role and hosted meetings for a while. I thought SLN offered the greatest opportunity for faculty development and it didn't let me down. Thanks to teaching online, I drastically changed my view of teaching (to become more learning oriented) even in my F2F classes and used SLN as a creative outlet to design learning units for my online course. Living now near E. Lansing, Michigan, I retired from SUNY NP this past year and will continue to teach a course in the summers for SUNY and a course year round for Excelsior College, an online college headquartered in Albany, NY.
Cheers all:
I've been teaching for about 15 years at Keene State College. For the past few years I've been teaching a few courses online, including Abnormal and Clinical Psychology.

The move to online teaching was easy for me since I've long been a blogger and podcaster and video/media oriented kinda prof. I'm interested keeping students engaged and having them learn to think, analyze problems, say interesting things.
Hi,

I'm professor and researcher of the eLearn Center (Center of Research, Innovation and Training in e-learning) of the Open University of Catalonia (UOC) Barcelona-Spain, a fully online university with more than 45.000 students and created in 1994. I've been a professor of the Studies of Psychology and Sciences of the Education since 2004 until 2010. I'm coordinating subjects of the Master’s degree in Education and ICT (e-learning) and of the Joint Certificate Online Course Desing and Teaching (UOC-University of New Mexico).

I've been working at UOC since 1996 with different roles; as a Director of the of Multimedia Instruccional Design Department and Innovations Projects Coordinator in the Strategic Area of Methodology and Educational Innovation.

Between years 1991 and 1996 I worked as a professor at the School of Teachers of the University of Barcelona first and at the University of Pompeu Fabra, later.

The areas of research in which it is focused on are the techno-pedagogical design or instrucional design, the educational technology and the didactics, the e-portfolio, and the development of models based on the use of the ICT (e-learning). I've been working in all them participating and coordinating different projects of research and of innovation, so many at national and international level.

I've published different articles, papers and chapters of books about techno-pedagogical design and the use of the ICT. Nowdays she’s participating in projects of research and of innovation about techno-pedagogical design, personalization of the learning processes, e-portfolios and the evaluation of the learning process. I'm also a member of the REDAOPA (Red de Diseño y Evaluación de Objetos de Aprendizaje Reutilizables) and member of the Team who coordinates the RED E-portfolio, both thematic nets funded by the Spanish Ministry of Education.

I've done the Doctoral Program of Educational Sciences of the Basc Country, a Degree in Philology and a Master in Second Languages adquisition, of the University of Barcelona.

I'm happy to be here and I'd would like to share what I know about online learning and teaching!!!
Good Day,

I am a senior instructional designer in the Distance Education and Learning Technologies (DELT) dept at Memorial University of Newfoundland. Our department serves the university community in assisting faculty with their course design and teaching in a variety of modes. I focus on online learning. This is my 12 year working as an instructional designer, the last five have been with DELT.

Last year DELT celebrated its 40th anniversary. Initially courses were correspondence, followed by correspondence supported with teleconference, then ETV, and now online.

I have a masters in distance education and am currently working on my doctorate. My special areas of interest are mobile learning, and formative feedback.

I'm looking forward to participating in this community.
Greetings,

I am a Ph.D. candidate at Laval University (Quebec, Canada). My qualitative research in educational technology involves developing a sustainable model of online learning for dual mode universities. More specifically, I am exploring the sustainability of communities of inquiry implemented in a synchronous online setting through the virtual graduate seminar.

I have a Master's degree in distance education and a graduate diploma in multimedia instructional design. I used to teach in a francophone university but thanks to a substantial SSRHC bursary (A Canadian funding agency for university-based research), I can just concentrate on my studies. I am currently in the data collection phase of my thesis.

For my doctoral thesis, I'm looking for faculty members who will be teaching online with Elluminate or a similar application during the winter 2011 term. Research on teaching and learning in synchronous mode is very limited and so is the number of faculty members teaching in this format, especially at the graduate level. I am trying to find faculty members who meet the following criteria: they offer graduate seminars, in synchronous mode, with a more socioconstructivist approach. I posted more details on my blog but essentially this research is based on the observation of archived online seminars, interviews with faculty members, students and instructional designers and two student questionnaires. Should you want more information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you very much and I look forward to participating in my new online community!

Hi Chrisie,

It is so nice to learn more about your history. It's impressive and I am lucky to have you at DCC for support!

Kathy OC

Chrisie Mitchell said:

Hello everyone!

I have a bit of an odd background before taking my current job as Associate Director of the Mary Louise Van Winkle Teaching Learning Center at Dutchess Community College. My previous experience was in secondary education, as a middle school Technology teacher in the Red Hook and Arlington School Districts. Yes, that's wood shop, no I didn't have any students cut their hands off while I was there. :) I currently hold a Technology teaching certification, and previously held a Secondary Social Studies certification. I hold a BS in Political Science from SUNY Geneseo and an MS in Curriculum Development and Instructional Design from SUNY Albany.

I sorta... fell into my current job after I left teaching, having been interested in online learning and the "behind the scenes" stuff that happens in institutions since my time at Geneseo. I started in 2007 and haven't looked back since, even though the job has become quite a bit more than just behind the scenes!

I'm also currently teaching Database Management Concepts on-campus as a heavily web-enhanced course, and am in the process of pitching it as an online offering to the Computer Science Department.

Currently, I'm involved in ... quite a lot of stuff! I am Vice-Chair of DCC's Administrative Staff Council, I an co-chairing our Staff Mentoring Committee, working on a Dean's Committee for Online Tutoring, and working with the Directors of Online Learning Environments on policy and procedure issues. Somehow I still find time for World of Warcraft (Alex told me to say that) and my voracious Kindle habit.

RSS

Subscribe

Subscribe in a reader.

Follow us on twitter.

Notes

new member guide

Created by Alexandra M. Pickett Aug 19, 2010 at 11:52am. Last updated by Alexandra M. Pickett Jun 23, 2015.

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Use hashtags #opensunyCOTE, #lrnchat , or #onlinelearning in your tweets to appear here!

© 2017   Created by Alexandra M. Pickett.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service