Hi! Welcome to the COTE Community. Please introduce yourself, let us know a little bit about you, and where you are from. We would love to know about your online teaching and learning experiences and what your specific areas of interest here might be.

Views: 1378

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi all,

I am SUNY’s dedicated Customer Success Advocate, or CSA. My role is to support higher education institutions in the use and adoption of teaching and learning tools that are already available on campus. With that said, I’m joining the COTE Community as Krista – a former educator, current trainer, and lifelong learner.

I’ve spent much of my life in Higher Education. I earned a BA in Business and Women’s Studies from Skidmore College in upstate New York and my MA in Organizational Communication with emphases in Institutional Theory and Qualitative/Quantitative Research Methods from the University of California, Santa Barbara. My research centered on the ways in which stakeholders within an institutional space use rhetoric to reframe issues and realign the normative beliefs and practices that define an institution. I also dabbled in Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and the tensions between for-profit and non-for-profit spheres.

I then served on the faculty at Lord Fairfax Community College (LFCC), which is part of the Virginia Community College System, and taught traditional and hybrid sections of Speech Communication and tutored students in College Algebra and Statistics. I enjoy teaching topics that, at first, frighten and intimidate people because it’s an opportunity for me to activate and teach to a growth mindset. Instead of, “I’m a bad public speaker” or “I’m not a math person,” I teach students to embrace the struggle and the journey of learning and refining new skills. Quick anecdote – one of my Nursing students called her husband in tears before the first day of our Speech Communication class. Later on in the course, she told me that her supervisor at the Healthcare Center impromptu asked her to provide feedback to her patient’s son – a task that would have paralyzed her at the start of the term. She told me that she used the impromptu speech tips she learned in class and that her supervisor complemented her on her speaking. This is why we teach.

Most recently, I worked in K-12 supplemental educational support as the Director of Sylvan Learning in Portsmouth, NH. In this role, I managed every aspect of the customer experience - from inquiry, to enrollment, to instruction, to retention. My true passion is educational access for all, and we can achieve this with thoughtful and innovative teaching and learning technology and implementation. One of my 2017 goals is to begin teaching again – just one course for now!

On a personal note, I live in the lakes region of New Hampshire with my boyfriend, basset hound Dorothy, and cat Carmen. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me!

Krista

ALOHA,

I am a high school counselor by day and an adjunct professor in the evening at SUNY Brockport in NewYork.  I have been a  high school counselor for 28 years and an adjunct for 12 years.  I teach a course called Mental Health: Mind, Body and Spirit Connection.  A few years ago I was invited to jump on board the online teaching train before it passes me by.  I took the invitation and I have been teaching two sections of the course for the last few summers.

I am currently developing a course called Integrating Spirituality in the 21st Century and I plan on teaching it very soon.  I would like to develop the course for both the classroom in the college setting and as an online course as well.  I am still learning how to navigate the online tools, especially the assessment tools.  I would like to have the students use portfolios for the assessment piece because much of the course involves self- reflection and journaling.

Hi everyone,

My name is Apostolos but I usually go by "AK".  I work as a program manager for an online MA program for the University of Massachusetts Boston.  I am also an adjuct faculty member for the MEd in Instructional Design at the same school.

One of my colleagues forwarded me a COTE email with some upcoming workshops and I was looking for a way to subscribe to COTE announcements which lead me to this community.

I am currently an EdD student at Athabasca University (Canada's Open University, in Edmonton), and I just completed my coursework...now all I need is an approved thesis topic and I am ready for the next stage.  Prior to  joining the EdD program I spent a lot of time in MOOCs of all kinds.  Ever since I got back to formal schooling I haven't had time for MOOCs, but I look forward to returning to them (if they are still around ;-) ), when I am done with my dissertation.

In my free time I like to play games and travel. I also like to collaborate on research projects.

Hi AK!  :) if you sign up as a "Friend of SUNY" you will get our announcements:

http://commons.suny.edu/cote/open-suny-fellow-application/?roles=Fr...

:) alex

Thanks for the tip :-) 

Greetings, All,

My name is Celeste Sherry, and currently I am an Adjunct Instructor of English at SUNY Rockland Community College in Suffern, NY. In addition to being faculty, I am also an Instructional Designer in RCC's eLearning & Academic Technology department. I find so much satisfaction in working with my colleagues in designing their new online courses, and I learn a few tricks along the way that I can use in my own classrooms -- both F2F and online!

When I'm not teaching or designing, I enjoy my hobby of Living History re-enacting. I especially enjoy when I help my retired-history-teacher husband Jack as he portrays Benjamin Franklin for historical sites and other forums. Don't we make a pair?!?!?

I've actually been a member of the SUNY COTE Community for almost a year, and thought I'd already posted to the "Who Are You?" forum, but I guess I got a bit sidetracked. Better late than never...

Never too late, Celeste! : ) LOVE the photo!! Beautiful!

Hello all!

I work for Cornell Cooperative Extension here on campus at Cornell University. For the past (many number) of years I have worked with faculty and staff in the development of online courses. We use Moodle as our LCMS. I believe open source has many benefits and am a vocal advocate for Moodle as a LCMS.

Our courses run the gamut from internally focused staff development offerings to public facing courses for beginning farmers, home gardeners and more. We are the first in the U.S. (I believe) to have our course modules approved as valid modules for statewide pesticide applicator re-certification.

My online teaching activities have included courses on using Moodle, Spanish language learning and coding. The greatest challenges we face to the adoption and broad use of online learning are (unsurprisingly) those of digital literacy.

Currently wrestling with digital badging, playful (online) learning and e-portfolios.

Hi All, my name is Shannon Hockwater.  I teach exercise science at Buffalo State College in Buffalo, NY. I teach exercise principles, kinesiology and principles of personal training.  I am a dancer and an athlete.  I have a profound appreciation for dance, sports and performance training.  I have my own dance and fitness studio.  I take on students from Buffalo State as interns at my studio so I can train the next generation!  I use online/ blended teaching in a few of my courses.  I find its easier to present the information in class and allow the students to apply the information and relearn it via another method online. This gives the students time to internalize the information and prepare to apply it.  It saves precious time during the shortened intersessions and summer semesters when I can assign quizzes, projects, labs and exams to be done online.  I am also a fan of the blackboard interface and availability of other programs, such as Ensemble, with which I can integrate into my course materials. I use Ensemble for all of my practical exams.  Its so much easier to view the practical in a computer program where I can replay it as many times as needed, rather than try and remember what was presented.  My biggest interest is in learning how to make my online course better and what other programs I can use with blackboard to help achieve my learning objectives in a more efficient way.  

My name is Pamela Huckabee and I am a newly minted, fresh off the press Instructional Designer in the Center for Instructional Innovation at Tarleton State University (part of The Texas A&M University System) in Stephenville, TX.  We support close to 700 faculty members with an enrollment of more than 13, 000 students.  I just started this position in November 2016 and am eager to learn the ins and outs of Instructional Design.  I am currently finishing up a four course Instructional Designer Certificate program through Online Learning Consortium.

Professional History

I received a BS in Computer Information Systems in 2001 and a MS in Management of Information Systems in 2003 from Tarleton State University.  I taught undergraduate computer classes as an adjunct for a couple of semesters and then was hired as a Programmer/Analyst I for the Tarleton School Leadership Alliance.  TSLA was a small grant and contract funded organization under the College of Education that developed research-based tools and processes for Texas educators.  During my 13 ½ -year tenure at TSLA we developed projects such as:

• Online Principal Assessment – This month-long process allowed a principal to complete various activities online where a trained, experienced assessor would score them.  They would then meet face-to-face to complete the activities, discuss the identified strengths and areas for growth, and develop a 5-yr professional development plan based on those needs.
  • Learning Management System – My team developed, from scratch, our own LMS.  The idea was to have a set of STEM-based courses that were shared between all the Universities in the A&M System without being tied to their respective student information systems.  Our system had a lot of the traditional features such as message boards, learning modules, chat rooms, gradebooks, etc. as well as customized features that met the specific needs of that project.
  • Online Mentoring System for Novice Teachers and Principals – This is a large system that has really grown and evolved over the years.  It began as a platform to connect new teachers and principals with trained mentors to provide support during the first two years on the job.  Now the program has professional development, hosted chats by content area experts, TExES test preparation, among others.  It is endorsed by the Texas Education Agency and is used in schools and Universities all over the state of Texas.

During my time at TSLA, I went from Programmer/Analyst I to Database Program Manager to Assistant Director and finally for the past seven years I was the director.  Eventually funding dried up for my department and I found myself looking for a new job.  With my experience in technology and education, I was hired as an Instructional Designer.  So far, I really love the work but have been concentrating on learning to use the various programs that we support (Blackboard Learn, Zoom, Respondus, Soft Chalk, Panopto, etc.)  My goal now is to learn all about course design and best practices so that I can help our faculty members design courses that are optimal for our students to be successful. My big soapbox issues are ensuring there is adequate teaching presence in the online environment and helping faculty members create courses that are aligned with well developed Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs).

About Me

I am wife to a Licensed Professional Counselor, mother of a 19-year-old college student that is majoring in Nursing, and personal servant to a beautiful Tabby cat.  I love to cook, read, watch movies, and travel with my family.  We are avid cruisers, just completed our 115th day at sea earlier this year.  

I am also very at home in the kitchen.  I collect LeCreuset cookware and love to make clean, healthy meals. 

Something that might be surprising about me is that I live in a Net-0 home.  That means that we produce more electricity via solar panels than we use each year.  They were first installed in 2010 and have worked beautifully.  I also love to cook in a solar oven on sunny days, winter or summer.

RSS

Subscribe

Subscribe in a reader.

Follow us on twitter.

Notes

new member guide

Created by Alexandra M. Pickett Aug 19, 2010 at 11:52am. Last updated by Alexandra M. Pickett Jun 23, 2015.

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Use hashtags #opensunyCOTE, #lrnchat , or #onlinelearning in your tweets to appear here!

© 2017   Created by Alexandra M. Pickett.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service